Sunday, March 27, 2011

The hunt for the elusive "perfect" mirror

I admit it. I have a thing for mirrors. Not because I feel the need to look at myself in them but because I love the way the add light and interest to a room. The dot over the i or the finishing touch if you will. But for some reason I always have a hard time pulling the trigger on buying them. I find myself procrastinating, making justifications and even talking myself out of buying them. I guess part of it comes from the fact that let's face it, a good mirror isn't cheap but I think more of it is that I don't want to make a mistake and the wrong mirror in the wrong place is the perfect storm of awful for me. But here I find myself... needing that perfect mirror over the fireplace in our living room. (I know... a mirror over the fireplace... so new and forward thinking but let's face it, it is a classic for a reason. It works) So I googled and ta da! Enter convex mirror. Love at first sight.


Just a few problem standing in the way of me and my true love. At 24" it is way too small. I need something almost twice the size but worse, the closest thing I could find in the size I need made my wallet hurt just thinking of buying it. At $1500 plus, even I can't justify that purchase. As any normal sane person would I went through the stages of grief. 

Denial. No, surely if I look harder I will find a convex mirror in the right size for the right price. Must look harder. Everywhere.

Anger. What the hell? Why is it when I want something I can never find it in the US. If l was back in Sweden I bet people would stop me on the street to give me their convex mirrors.

Bargaining. Okay. Maybe I can make it myself? Or maybe I buy the mirror and I'll just reupholster the two couches in the living room myself. Sure, I've never done that before but I could learn. I mean that would save a lot of money and then the mirror really wouldn't be that expensive. In fact, I'd probably save money this way.

Depression. Let's face it. I can't reupholster the couches. They are tufted and awesome and I'll never forgive myself if I screw them up. Which I will. Sigh.

Acceptance. Convex mirror. You and I weren't meant to be together. There is another mirror out there. Sure it may not be as fabulous as you are but it will have other things going for it and I will love it just as much. Well.. almost as much. 

So for now the hunt goes on. I have flirted with Crate and Barrel's Malachy





But I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. I guess I'll know the right one when I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment